MacBook is one of the professional laptop brands designed by Apple Inc. The brand is well known for its highly-designed features with a very advanced technology that is sufficient to grab the users’ attention. However, every electronic gadget gets stuck with several errors or glitches after at a time and so are the MacBooks. There comes a time when your MacBook Air becomes corrupted which force you to reset the device. Several users are puzzled with this frustrating situation when their computer hung up and don’t know how to reset MacBook Air to factory settings. So, if you are one of those and want of a permanent solution to settle this, then this is the right page for you. In this content, we will explore all the desirable solutions back to back in order to reset your MacBook Air to the factory settings in no time.
Complete Steps to Factory Reset MacBook Air
If you are wondering how to reset MacBook Air, then we have prepared a list of all the possible steps to eliminate this issue as soon as possible. You must go through all the methods back to back in order to reset your MacBook Air completely.
Step 1: Create a Backup of MacBook Air data
In order to reset your MacBook Air to the factory settings, you need to first create a backup file for your device to retrieve your data back after the reset is complete. Hence, go through the steps below to create a backup for your device.
- At first, turn On your MacBook Air and drive to the Time Machine option, from the Time Machine menu in the list.
- Now, open the Time Machine Vault and click on Backup Disk option, from the list appears.
- Select the External Drive, from the list of available disks and select the Encrypt Backup option from the left pane of the window.
- At last, click on Use Disk option and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the task.
After you have created a backup for all the data on your computer, follow the next method below.
Step 2: Disable FileVault on MacBook Air
The FileVault encrypts the complete disk to defend unofficial access to data stored on the machine. You need to check it out before you reset the MacBook air completely. Go through the steps below to disable FileVault on Mac.
- At first, turn On your MacBook Air and navigate to the System Preferences option, from the ‘Security and Privacy’ tab.
- Click on ‘Security and Privacy’ option from the menu, and then select the FileVault tab.
- Now, click on the Lock button to unlock the feature and enter the Administrator ID and Password if prompted.
Restart your MacBook after completing all the above steps and follow the next method below.
Step 3: Remove the iTunes authorization on Mac
In order to restore the MacBook completely to factory settings, you need to first remove the iTunes authorization. You can re-authorize the iTunes service back after the restore completes. Go through the steps below to remove the iTunes authorization.
- At first, turn On your MacBook Air and open the iTunes application and login with the Apple ID if prompted.
- Now, select the Account from the top-left side of the screen and select Authorizations.
- At last, select ‘Deauthorize this computer’ and enter the Password if prompted.
Step 4: Reset MacOS to Factory Settings
After completing all those above steps accurately, follow the steps below to complete the reset on your MacBook Air.
- At first, restart the device manually if the computer is turned On and press the Command+R key at the same time until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Use the Disk Utility to wipe your startup and any other external hard disks.
- Select Drive name from the sidebar to select the Erase option, and then select MacOS Extended from the Format menu.
- Now, select the APFS option from the High Sierra and above and type a new name for your hard disk.
- After that, click on Erase and this will wipe all the data on the disk including personal files and data.
Follow the on-screen instructions and reinstall the MacOS back directly from the server after the format gets complete. When the installation completes, you will get your laptop back as new as earlier.
We have shared all the steps to help you with how to reset MacBook Air in the simplest way. You must go through all the steps in a serial wise in order to complete the restore on your MacBook Air. Hope, the above article was beneficial enough to assist you on how to factory reset MacBook Air completely. In case, the above methods don’t work, then either you have done something incorrect with those steps or there might be some other internal glitches or hardware faults. In that case, you can consult with an expert. Lastly, we counsel you to drop your valuable feedback below in the comment section to let us know about your experience.