From a camera to a projector, Canon Inc. manufactures almost every kind of imaging and optical items for their consumers. Among those products, Canon printers are the ones with the highest demand in the digital market. Now, the common problem with Canon printer is, their manuals do not come with enough information about printer setup for Mac which makes the setup process very complicated for Mac users. If this is your first-time connecting a printer with your Mac device then there is a high chance of committing a mistake. That’s why we are here today to guide you on how to connect Canon printer to Mac devices. So go through the rest of the article carefully to avoid making any mistakes.
Step by Step Guide to Connect Canon Printer to Mac
Now before jumping to the main guide, we want to inform you that the method of connecting Canon printer with Mac vary depending on which model of Canon printer you are using. In this article, we randomly chose a model and came up with the guide. So it may or may not exactly match with your Canon product setup guide.
Install Printer Driver With Installation CD
Almost all the Canon printers come with a driver installation CD, unpack it and then insert the CD-Rom in the computer (Unplug the USB during the process). Now double-click the Setup icon in the CD-ROM folder. Once you do that “Download Software for Canon Product” window will open. Simply click on the Download button from the window. When the drivers for the printer is downloaded a small window will pop up. Check the box which is labeled as, “Save a file for setting up the software again to the download folder after installation complete” and then press the Next button. Now simply allow your Printer Setup to make changes in your computer by providing administration name and password and then press Ok.
Install Printer Driver Without Installation CD
If you don’t have the installation CD for some reason, then don’t panic. You can also install the driver without the CD. In Mac, the printer driver is available directly through the OS X operating system. Thus, when you run Apple Software Update on your Mac, you don’t require to download a driver from either the Canon or Apple website. So, follow the below steps to perform this task:
- At first, open your Mac device and click on the Apple menu.
- Now select Software Update to check for available updates. After that, update the database that your computer uses to determine available printer software.
- Next, click on Show details to select the available software updates and then press the Install button.
- After that, turn on your printer and get back to your Mac device.
- Now select System Preferences and choose the Printer and scanners option from the given list. Once it’s done, select the Plus sign from the lower left corner of the window.
- Next, click the Add Printer or Scanner option to get the complete list of printers available.
- After that, select the printer name for which you want to install the software.
- Once it’s done, click the Use box and then select the name of your printer from the drop-down menu.
- Now, click on the Add option to include the printer to the queue. After that, if you are prompted to install any additional software for your printer, then click on Install option and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
After downloading the software and driver, your next step will be to set the preferences for your printer. To do that, open the setup application for your printer and then click on the Start Setup button. Once you do that, your device will check if there are any updates available or not.
If you didn’t update or downloaded the drivers, then in this step your device will automatically download it. In the next step, the printer will ask you to select your place of residence as well as the country you are currently living. If your country is not listed in the page then select Others option and then press Next. Now a Licence Agreement page will open. Select Yes to proceed to the next section. In the next page, you will be asked to take part in the Extended Survey Program. If you want to, then you can take part in it by clicking Agree otherwise press Do not agree to jump to the next page.
Once you have completed the above steps, the setup application will check for the printer status.
Set Connection Method
Now, after setting up your preference your next step in the setup page will be to select the connection method. In this step, you can choose either Wireless Lan Connection or USB Connection. If you are using a wireless printer and want to know how to connect Canon wireless printer to Mac then proceed to the next step by selecting the Wireless Lan Connection and then press Next. After that, ensure that your printer is powered on and then press Next.
Now, the software will search for any printers already set up on your wireless network but if it’s the first time you are setting up your printer, then the name of the wireless network will not be displayed on the Select Printer list. So in this step select the box labeled as “Set up the network connection according to the guide” and then click Next. Once you do that, a setup guide will open and lead you to connect your printer to your wireless network using the Easy Wireless Connect process. Simply go through the On-screen instructions carefully to prepare your printer for connection.
In the next step, the setup software will temporarily disconnect your computer from your wireless network and directly connect to your printer to configure the network settings. Your computer will reconnect to your wireless network automatically once the wireless connection is complete with your printer. Now complete the entire process by pressing the Allow button of “Setup wants to access key in your keychain”.
Even though most people avoid this step but aligning a print head is really necessary to get the best quality print. If you don’t know how to do that then follow the below mentioned steps.
- At first, load a few sheets of plain paper in the Canon printer.
- Then turn on your Mac device and open the Apple menu.
- Next, select System Preferences open the Print & Fax or Print & Scan section (depending on the Mac version).
- Now select your product, and then choose Options & Supplies.
- After that select Utility and click on the Open Printer Utility.
- Here, select Print Head Alignment and then click Next. After that select Print to print an alignment sheet.
- Now check the printed pattern and follow the instructions on the screen to choose the number representing the best-printed pattern for each set.
- After choosing each pattern number, click Next, but if no patterns are aligned in one or more of the sets, choose the closest one in each set and click Realignment.
- Then, print another alignment sheet and check it (click Skip if you want to skip a particular alignment sheet)
- After completing the above steps, click on the Finish button to complete the alignment.
Wrapping it Up
We hope that the method mentioned in this article will help you to resolve your query regarding how to connect Canon printer to Mac. If you are still not able to properly set up the printer with your Mac, then we will advise you to re-do the whole process once again. Also, you can take a look at your user manual for reference. But we will highly recommend taking the help of a professional for better throughout guidance.