At the time of using MS Outlook 2003 to 2013, you might face many kinds of irritating errors. And ‘Outlook the information store cannot be opened’ is one of the most annoying errors that you can face at the time of using Outlook. It is certain that from the error message, it seems quite significant error. But if you are facing such an error then we will recommend you to stop worrying any more. We are here to help you with some easy hacks that will help you to get rid of this error in minutes.
Possible Causes of the Error
No one can say the exact reason for this particular problem. Maybe the versions of Microsoft Outlook from 2003 to the latest version of Outlook 2013 are corrupted and full of faults at the same time. According to Microsoft itself, the error occurs due to corrupted navigation pane settings file. One can easily check if the navigation pane settings file is corrupted or not and for that, we just need to check if the file is 0 KB. In this way, you will get to know if the file is corrupted or not. Below we are stating the other possible causes of the error. And they are:
- Outlook running in compatibility mode
- Corruption of the Outlook Data file
- Improper installation of Outlook
Fix the Error “Outlook the information store cannot be opened” with Some Easy Methods
Here we are describing some easy and helpful methods in this part of the article. These methods will definitely help you to get rid of the situation if your Outlook the information store cannot be opened. Let’s start:
Solution 1: Repairing the Outlook data file (.ost or .pst)
For many of the users repairing the .ost file has worked like magic. And to do so, follow the upcoming steps one by one correctly and check the result:
- To start the process, first of all, you need to open the search dialogue box. For that, press the Windows + F keys simultaneously.
- And then in the search box type ‘exe’ at the top right corner. After that, hit the Enter key.
- Now, in the left panel, you will find ‘Local Disk: C’. Select it and then and choose the Program files to continue the process.
- After finishing the above step, for once again go to the search box and there type ‘Scanost.exe’.
- Next, after locating the SCANPST file, you need to open it. Here you will get to see a pop-up. Select OK.
- After that action, you will find ‘OST Integrity Check’ set up before you. Finally to complete the part you have to check-in in the ‘Repair errors’ box and then hit the option ‘Begin Scan’.
- Now, wait for a while until the completion of the scanning.
- Once you are done with all the above steps, close all the Windows.
Now, the .ost file has been repaired on your device. It is the time to check if the problem is still there or it has been resolved.
Solution 2: Outlook Running in the Compatibility Mode
If the above solution fails to help you then try this present solution and check if the error still persists. Here, we will tell you how to off the compatibility mode in Outlook to resolve the problem. So, read on and perform the below-mentioned steps one by one:
- This process is not that tough. To start it, first of all, go to the Local Disk: C. From there go to the Program Files. And then go to Microsoft Office. Now, select Office XX. And then you will reach Outlook.exe.
- In this step, what you have to do is just to right-click the Outlook.exe file and then, go to the ‘Compatibility’ tab after selecting ‘Properties’.
- After finishing all the above steps uncheck the ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’ box to continue the process.
- Finally, hit the option ‘Apply’ to successfully turn off the compatibility mode.
Solution 3: Start MS Outlook in Safe Mode
You can easily resolve the problem by starting MS Outlook in safe mode if the other process refuses to work. And to open the Outlook in safe mode follow the upcoming steps in proper order:
- At first, you have to hit the Outlook icon holding the Ctrl Key to start the process. Or you can even do this by going to Start and there, in the search box type in ‘Outlook /safe’. Now hit the Enter key.
- And after that, when the pop up will appear to ask you for the confirmation to start in safe mode select the Yes option.
- If Outlook starts in safe mode, then the main problem is happening because of some add-ins.
- And to fix this you should disable the add-ins one by one in Outlook. In this way, you will be able to detect problematic add-ins.
- Once you are done Reboot the Outlook for once again.
If Outlook opens without any error, add-ins may be the issue. To disable them, follow the steps below:
- Open Microsoft Outlook
- Go to the File tab. From there go to Options and then Add-ins
- Select COM Add-ins and click GO
- Uncheck all add-ins
- Then select the add-ins one at a time and restart Outlook each time you select an add-ins. This will help you narrow down the add-in causing trouble.
Solution 5: Recover Navigation Pane configuration File
As we said before that this problem can be caused due to the corruption of navigation pane settings file, this process might help you.
- In this process, you need to hit the Start button of your Windows system.
- And then type in the command ‘Outlook.exe /resetnavpane’ and simply hit the Enter key.
- And this action will definitely reset the settings in the navigation pane file.
- Now check if the error has been resolved after Restarting Outlook.
You can try to resolve the issue by using the following steps if you are experiencing the error on an exchange email account configured on your Outlook.
In this case, we will recommend you that if you are running a Windows Server or a firewall then disable the firewall. And after that connect the server directly without using any firewall.
If the issue is resolved then you will need to reconfigure your firewall to allow the exchange to sync.
The sole purpose of this article is to help you resolve the error outlook the information store could not be opened. Hope, after performing the above steps you definitely will be able to resolve the problem yourself.