Mac is a popular product of Apple Inc. However, if you are facing the Mac trackpad not working issue, then you can proceed with this article. This article will provide you every single method in detail, with the application of which you can able to solve it. Not only that but after a thorough study, you will also gain complete knowledge regarding the trackpad not working issue which includes its causes and effects.
What causes Mac Trackpad not Working?
First of all, let us understand the details, which are responsible for the Mac trackpad not working glitch. According to the experts the causes are as listed below:
- Dust Accumulation on Trackpad: Presence of dust to the sides of the trackpad can be the reason for this issue. This generally happens if you have not used your device for several days. This may be due to your exam purpose or touring reasons.
- Trackpad software glitch: Due to changes made by you intentionally or accidentally to the Mac device, it can affect the Trackpad software badly. And thus can further be the cause of this issue. If this is the case, then only by updating the Mac OS you can resolve it.
- Trackpad settings get wrong: Sometimes, it is found that a glitch in touchpad settings is responsible for the trackpad not working error. If this is the case, then you can proceed further with this article to learn the proper methods of solving it.
- Trackpad hardware glitch: This is a rare issue, which results in trackpad not working. If this is the case, then you need to run Apple Diagnostics to get the better steps for it to solve.
Whatever is wrong for which you are getting the error, you can try the methods of this article. The methods are verified by many of the readers who are facing the Mac trackpad not working issue and get positive results. So, without keeping a second thought you can try these methods.
Indications of the MacBook Air Trackpad Not Working Glitch
If you are facing the MacBook Pro touchpad not working issue then these below are the glitches which you are probably facing:
- Double-click not working
- The pointer is not moving in the direction you are indicating
- Does not respond to your click activity
- Unresponsible trackpad
How to Fix Mac Trackpad not Working Issue?
Here in this section, we have arranged a list of methods by the application of which you can able to solve Mac touchpad not working glitch. So without wasting time check out these below methods, to learn the solutions quickly:
Method 1: Update Macintosh Trackpad App to Fix your Mac Trackpad not Working
This one is the most effective method to solve many of the common software related problems including Macbook touchpad not working. So, before proceeding with the other methods as below, it is better to start with the Mac updating process. And for this method, the steps which you need to go through are as follows:
- At first, go to the App Store on your Mac.
- After that, from the App Store window click on Updates.
- Next, under this Updates window, search for the section which is shown as “Trackpad Firmware Update”. Beside this, you will get the Update button, click on it.
- Further, if any update is available for Mac Trackpad, then a window will pop-up, click on Update to continue.
- After that, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of the updates for Macintosh trackpad.
After following these steps, if you will find that the error gets resolved then OK, or else try the below methods one by one.
Method 2: Make the Trackpad Dust-Free
If you have left your Macbook for days, without even dusting it, then the accumulation of dust on its body can be the fact for the trackpad not working issue. If this is the case, then only by cleaning the gadget with the help of a soft and lint-free cloth, you can get the trackpad in a normal working condition. It is always better to clean the electronic devices at least once a week. This will not only make your device free from dust but at the same time, it will give you a friendly-user experience.
Method 3: Reset Parameter Random Access Memory (PRAM)
PRAM is a memory storage part of the Mac device. Its function is to gather system information along with some parts of settings to access them rapidly. Resetting PRAM might help you to fix this problem. The steps to allow for this method are as follows:
- Firstly, turn off the Mac device, after closing every single opening program running on it.
- Then, press the Mac power button to turn it on. Remember that this time you need to add some more steps as normally you do not have to while turning it on. And that is you need by press these below said buttons for 20 seconds when you initially see that the light glows on Mac.
- Letter R and P keys
- By doing this afore-said step, you will see that the Mac automatically perform the restarting process.
- Now, as its turn on, check if the trackpad working properly.
In case, by the use of this method, the error still exists then proceed to this further method to get rid of it.
Method 4: Reset System Management Controller (SMC) to Fix Mac Trackpad not Working
This is another effective method with the application of which you will able to fix Mac trackpad not working problem. And the steps which you need to go through for this method are a little different for the MacBook with a removable battery and without a removable battery. Here from the following portion of the article, you can learn the methods. So, you can check them out:
Steps to follow to Reset SMC on Mac Without a Removable Battery
The steps to perform for the Mac device of which the battery is not removable one are quite simple and are as below:
- At first, shut down the MacBook, after closing every single application opening on it.
- Note: Do not remove Mac from the power outlet and keep the power supply on.
- This time press both these below said keys altogether.
- After that, release all these keys altogether.
- And press the Power button, to start the device once again. This time, hopefully, you will get the error fixed.
Steps to Follow to Reset SMC on Mac With a Removable Battery
The steps which you need to go through to perform the reset SMC task to the Mac device of which the battery can be removed. Normally, all the old model of Mac are designed with a removable battery:
- At first, shut down the computer after stopping all the applications running on it.
- Next, remove the battery from it. But before that remove the Mac from the Power Outlet as well if it is attached to the power source.
- Then, press and hold the power button for 15 seconds, this is to ensure that no power is left on the gadget.
- After that, replace the battery on the Mac appropriately and connect it to the power outlet as well. And turn on the power for the device.
- Next, tap the power button to turn on Mac. And hopefully, after going through these steps you will get the trackpad in a normal functional condition.
Method 5: Delete the Property List Files
After following all these above methods if the error still remains then you can proceed with this method. This method may work for you. So without losing hope, try this one as well. The steps to proceed with are quite simple and are also arranged in these below lines:
- At first, navigate to the Finder section. And from here click on Go. After that, hit on the Go to folder section and type this below-said path in this location.
- Then, again, click on “Go”, this will navigate you to the section where you will notice a number of files.
- Next, from these files list, select the files on which you will get the Touchpad or Mouse written.
- After that, following the property list, delete the required ones. An example of such a file is: com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist.
Hopefully, after completing these above steps you will find that the trackpad is working properly without an issue.
Method 6: Ensure that “Ignore Built-In Trackpad when the Mouse or Wireless Trackpad is Present” is Not Checked
If the “Ignore Built-In Trackpad when the Mouse or Wireless Trackpad is Present” option in Mac System Preference is active then this will be the fact for which you are facing the Mac trackpad not working problem. If this is the case, to check and to solve follow these below lines. This is the error which generally occurs if you are using an external wireless mouse or keyboard. So, without worrying about the issue, check out these effective steps which follows:
- At first, navigate to the System Preference section. After that, under which click on Accessibility. Then, scroll down this window and proceed to the “Mouse & Touchpad” section.
- Under this “Mouse & Touchpad” section, disable the checkbox which is beside the “Ignore Built-In Trackpad when the Mouse or Wireless Trackpad is Present” message if you see it is active.
These are the overall steps, by the application of which you will resolve Mac trackpad not working issue if the case is that you are connecting the Mac with a wireless mouse and keyboard.
Method 7: Solve Double-Click of the Trackpad is not Working on Mac
As said earlier, this is one of the common issues among the Mac trackpad not working problem list. If this occurs you can able to fix it by following these below-said steps. So, without wasting time, proceed with it:
- Firstly, navigate to the System Preference section of the Macbook.
- After that, from here click on Accessibility and scroll down to the “Mouse & Trackpad” section.
- Under the “Mouse & Trackpad” section, you will get a portion as “Double-click speed” with a slider. Move the slider in the middle of the bar or a little more than that, to set the speed level. After doing this, close the window and check if the problem gets fixed.
Method 8: Solve Pointer is too Fast to Control Problem
This is another one of the most common problems which come under a part of the Mac trackpad not working problem. And to learn the solutions for it check out these steps below.
- Go to the System Preference section of the Mac device.
- After that, navigate to the Trackpad and here search for Tracking speed.
- As you find the Tracking speed option, now set it according to your choice to get rid of the pointer is too fast to control problem.
Method 9: Fix Mac Trackpad Not Working with the Help of Apple Diagnostics
In case after following all these above methods if you still facing the Mac trackpad not working, which is a rare case scenario. In such situation this will be the method which will help you to identify the proper cause of this problem and can also help you to fix it accordingly.
First of all, make sure that you have close every running program on Mac. Next, Shut it down. And remember that you need not switch off the power supply for the device. If you were using Mac with the help of battery then you need to connect it with the power source to continue with this method.
And the continuation step is you need to turn on Mac again by pressing the power button. But this time, when you see that the screen light appear, immediately press and hold the letter D key. You need to hold the letter D key until you find that it opens up the window, which asks you to choose your language.
Further on, after setting your language in this window, you will get that the diagnostic process is in progress. In case if the diagnosis is found any problem then this will also suggest for the methods with the help of which you can able to fix it. As the diagnose result gets appear, make a note on it and search for the related solutions accordingly. In case, if it does not suggest a solution also then make a note to the result. Next, restart your device to go further with the solutions. In case if it suggests you the methods to fix it then, go for these methods, which will definitely work to fix the glitch.
All these are the appropriate and result oriented method to solve Mac trackpad not working issue. After fixing it by yourself, with the help of these aforesaid method, you will be able to reuse the trackpad without further problem along with great confidence.