Due to its multifunctional characteristics, HP printer is one of the most popular printers among the users. Apart from printing, the printer also manages scanning functions with the software that you install when you set up the printer on your computer. However, at times, when attempting to scan, you might face an issue when your HP printer won’t scan and you may get frustrated. This error can be caused due to a number of problems with software or Operating System. This issue might occur when your system is infected by malware or viruses. Sometimes, it may happen that you fail to establish a connection between your computer and printer for which your HP printer might have a problem in scanning. An older version of the printer driver and any third party antivirus can also restrict the scanning process of the HP printer.
If you are also facing the same issue then this article will help you. In this guideline, you will get to know all the possible solutions to resolve the HP printer not scanning issue on your system.
Easy Hacks to Fix HP Printer Won’t Scan Issue
Sometimes, restarting the system can solve the issue that you have encountered. So you need to restart the system. After restarting your device, check to see if the problem still exists or not. If the issue is still present, then you need to follow the undermentioned procedures that will help you in resolving the HP printer won’t scan issue.
Procedure 1: Reset the Printer
Resetting the printer can sometimes resolve the scanning problem. To do so, follow these steps:
- At first, you have to power off the printer and disconnect all cables.
- Then, wait for a few minutes and then connect all the cables and turn on the printer by pressing the Power button.
- After doing this, you can check whether the issue is permanently resolved or not.
Procedure 2: Uninstall the HP Printer and Install It Again
Uninstalling the HP printer and installing it again is one of the best solutions to get rid of the HP printer not scanning issue. To complete this process, follow the steps which are cited below:
- Press the Windows Home button along with the R key to launch the Run dialog box.
- In the Run box, type Control Panel and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- You need to go to the Programs and Features section from the Control Panel window.
- In the Programs and Features tab, select the HP printer software. Click on the Uninstall option. Now the system will start the uninstallation process.
- Once it is done, restart the system.
After restarting your PC, you can delete the printer from the Printer & Scanner list. To do this:
- Go to the Settings window and find the Devices, double click on it.
- In the Devices section, click on the Printer & scanner section from the left side panel.
- On the right side Panel, choose the printer and click on the Remove Device option.
Now, the printer is completely uninstalled from your PC. After doing this, install the HP printer software again from the HP printer official website.
- At first, go to the official website of HP printer, find out the device software and click on the Download option.
- Once the download is complete, install it. To complete the installation process follow the onscreen instructions. After installation, reboot the system and then check if the HP printer scanner works perfectly without any error.
Procedure 3 – Turn Off the Windows Defender Firewall
When this issue appears, you must check whether the Windows defender firewall is turned off or on. If it is turned on then you may see the HP printer won’t scan issue on the system. So you should turn it off. If you do not know the steps for doing that, then you can follow the instructions below:
- First, press the Windows Home button and X key together to launch the menu list. Choose the Settings application. Alternately, type ‘Settings’ in the Search box and then hit the Enter button.
- From the Settings window, you need to go to the Update and Security section. Click on it.
- In the Update and Security section, click on the Windows Defender in the left side panel Then turn off the “Real-time protection” and “Cloud-based protection” buttons to disable it.
- Once it is done, try to scan on the HP printer and check if it is functioning the way it should.
Procedure 4 – Uninstall Third-Party Antivirus
If the problem is still present, then you need to uninstall the third-party antivirus from the system. To do that follow the points mentioned below:
- At first, you need to press the Windows Home Button and X key together to launch the Settings window. Alternately, press the Windows button + S key to open the Search box, type Settings in that box and then hit the Enter button.
- In the Settings window, you will find the Apps and Programs section. Double-click on it.
- From the Apps and Programs tab, scroll down the page and you will locate the third-party antivirus application that is installed on your PC. Click on the Uninstall button.
- Once the uninstallation completes, reboot your PC. After doing this, if the issue still persists, then you can move to the next fix.
Procedure 5 – Verify that the Windows Image Acquisition Service is Turned On
Now, you need to check whether the Windows Image Acquisition is turned off or not. Windows Imaging Services is one of the most famous scanning services. You may need to activate this service to improve the scanning of HP printers. You can activate the WIA services. Follow these steps:
- In the beginning, to open the Run box, you need to press the Windows Home button and R key together.
- Type services.msc in the Run box and then click on the OK option or hit the Enter button.
- From the Services window, you will find the Windows Image Acquisition file. Double-click on it.
- In the Windows Image Acquisition Properties tab, set the Startup type to Automatic, if it’s turned off.
- Then click on the Start option.
- After doing this, click on the Apply button and then click on the OK option.
Procedure 6 – Run DISM Tool
You can run the DISM tool to troubleshoot the HP printer won’t scan problem on your PC. To run the tool, follow these directions:
- Press the Windows Home button along with the S key to launch the Search Panel. Type cmd and then right click on Command Prompt from the list. Select the Run as administrator option.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and then hit the Enter button. ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’
- Once the command is executed, restart your PC.
Procedure 7 – Update the Driver
You must keep the printer driver up to date. If you have not updated the printer driver properly, then you may see the HP printer scanner not working issue on the system. Follow these steps:
- Open the Search box, type Device Manager. Alternately, press the Windows Home button + X key to launch the Menu list. Select the Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, locate the printer driver, and right click on it.
- Select the Update Software Driver option. If an update is available then click on the ‘Update automatically…’ option.
- Once the update process is completed, restart the system and then check whether the issue is fixed or not.
Procedure 8 – Run the SFC Tool
After trying the above-mentioned procedures, if the problem still appears, then you can follow this procedure. SFC tool is the built-in tool of Windows to check and fix issues with system files. So, you can use this tool to fix the HP printer won’t scan issue on the system. Follow the steps given below:
- At first, hold the Windows button and press the X key to open the Menu list. Choose the Command Prompt (admin) option.
- Type SFC/scannow command in the Command Prompt window, and then, hit the Enter button.
- Once it finishes, reboot your PC.
Procedure 9 – Update the System
Sometimes, you can face this issue when you are using an older version of the Operating System. So you must update the OS. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows Button + I key to open the Settings application. Alternately, open the Search box, type Settings and then hit the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Next, in the Settings window, you will get a section which is named Update and Security. Select it.
- From the Update and Security tab, move the cursor to the Update tab. Select it.
- On the right side of the page, you should see an option Check for Updates. Click on it.
- If any updates are present, then click on the Update button. Now the update process should begin.
- Once it finishes, reboot the system and then check if the HP printer is scanning without any issue.
We hope the above-mentioned procedures will be sufficient to get rid of the ‘HP printer won’t scan’ issue on the system. These are the best solutions so that you can easily implement them on the system to resolve this issue. If you face any problem then you can take expert help for better assistance.