HP printer only prints black and white issue is one of the most puzzling issues that HP printer owners encounter. This issue is mainly caused by some improper settings and software errors. However, in some cases, the issue appears in HP printers due to some hardware problems. Now if you are one of those HP users who is facing this frustrating issue in their printer and want to solve this as fast as possible then follow this article.
Major Reasons behind HP Printer Only Printing Black and White
In the HP printer and user’s system, there are many problematic factors that can cause the HP printer only prints black and white issue. And some of those problematic factors are given below. Have a look at them.
- Outdated or corrupted HP printer drives
- Improper printing settings
- Problems in the Printing application
- Empty or wrong color ink cartridge.
Now that you have identified all the possible causes for this issue, let’s have a look at the solutions
Ways to Fix HP Printer Only Printing Black and White Issue.
There are many ways by which you can fix HP printer only prints black and white, and some of them are given below. Have a look at them and try to execute them as instructed.
Check The Printer Drivers
During this issue, the first thing that you should check and fix is the HP printer drivers. Most of the time, the black and white printing issue occurs in HP printer due to outdated or corrupted printer driver files. And it is quite possible that the same problem is causing this issue in your HP printer. Now, to resolve this driver problem, you need to update your Printer drivers and to do that, follow the given steps.
- First, open the Run dialog box by pressing “Windows + R” key. Then type, devmgmt.msc in the box and hit the OK button or Enter key.
- Now, in the Device Manager window, you will find a list of drivers installed in your system.
- From that list, find the Printers option and right-click on it. Instantly a context menu will appear on the screen. On that menu, you will get the Properties option. Click on it.
- On the Properties pop-up window, tap on the Drivers Tab.
- Inside that tab, click on the Update drivers option.
After that, you just need to follow the on-screen instructions in order to complete the update process. But to make sure that you’re using the correct printer driver, you can perform the driver update process manually by searching from them on the internet and then installing them in your system. Apart from that, you can also go to HP’s support page and search for the drivers for your printer model.
Configure the Correct Printer Settings
Now, If you are sure that you’ve installed the correct printer driver in your system but are still facing the black and white printing issue, then check the settings of your HP printer. In certain situations, HP printer only prints black and white pages because of improper settings. Typically, HP printer users encounter this type of incorrect setting problems while printing out docks files like Excel sheet, PDF, Online forms, etc. To rectify this setting problem you need to do some manual tweaking and the instructions for that are given below.
- Go to the Control Panel window and then click on the Devices and Printers option.
- Then right-click on your HP printer and then select the Printing Preferences option.
- Now, navigate through the menu and make sure that the grayscale printing option is disabled.
Try Another Printing Application
Another thing that can create this issue in your HP printer is the printing application. To verify that possibility, open another application from which you can print from and then try to print something in color. If color printing fails in that application also, then it means there are still some issues with the printer settings. However, if the application is able to print in color then it clearly indicates that your previous printing application is faulty and you need to change it to solve this issue. Now, to fix the HP printer settings, follow the given steps.
- Open up your Printing application and click on the Print option.
- Then select the name of your HP printer from that printer list.
- Now, click on the Properties option to open up the Printer Properties dialog box.
- On the Printer Properties window, click on the Paper/Quality or tap on the Features tab.
- After that, click on the Advanced option. Now, in the Advanced window, you need to find the Grayscale or High-Quality Grayscale option and then uncheck or de-select it.
- Once you do that, click on the OK button to complete the process.
After performing the above steps try to print anything in order to check if the issue is resolved or not.
Check the Ink Cartilage
If all the factors mentioned in the above sections are properly working then it might be possible that the black and white printing issue is occurring on your HP printer due to wrong ink cartilages. Sometimes, users insert wrong color ink cartridges in their printer or the cartridge has run out of ink and that causes these type of printing issues. Now, to verify this problem, open up your HP printer and check the connected ink cartridge. If your printer contains only a black color ink cartridge or the cartridge is empty then replace it with a new multi-color one. Then try to print something in order to verify the existence of the issue.
If the above solutions are unable to solve HP printer only printing black and white issue, then there is a big chance that your HP printer is facing some kind of serious hardware problems. In that case, you should consult with a technical expert in order to find a reliable and efficient solution.
We hope that our solutions and suggestions are helpful to you regarding this black and white printing issue. For more tech-related information keep following our articles.